Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Ritual of Bathing

The bath. I can think of nothing more relaxing and nurturing than a long and luxurious bath on a languid afternoon. Watching the steam rise from the water as I feel my muscles relax, my mood mellow and my nose fill with the enchanting scent of lavender is, by far, one of my most revered past times. In my frenzied schedule, as I am sure is the case in yours as well, I hardly take the time to really turn off the world and focus on nothing but myself and my five senses. This, however, is a crucial necessity of life and homage must be paid.

I have a tendency to save bathing for those times when no one else is in the house. That way I can be sure that I will spend my hour or so uninterrupted. I have a collection of bath salts, bombs, potions and teas to ensure that I am scenting my bath with whatever strikes my mood that day. Lavender is my standard but I also have magnolia, milk, honey, lilac and rose. If I bathe during the day, I turn off all artificial light and bathe by the light of day. Nighttime brings candles into my repertoire. A couple of white tea lights placed around the tub gives off an almost ethereal glow through the steam. Iced water or hot tea is a must in the bath. Your body sweats in the heat and you need refreshment. Also, and I hope this goes without saying, turn off your phone. In fact, turn off everything...except maybe some Chopin or Enrico Caruso. Find what relaxes you, lay back, soak it in and let yourself melt into perfect, sublime, Utopian heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What is a weekend? (A rambling ode to stay-at-home mothers)

I dedicate this post to stay-at-home moms/ Downton fans everywhere. How can we ever forget the iconic and highly quotable moment the Dow...