Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Taking Tea

I've never been one for ceremony. I have always been a touch more informal about the way I approach things in life. Take tea for instance. Taking tea can, for some, be quite an event. The best silver, bone china and finger foods are broken out in celebration. Now, don't get me wrong, there is something to be said for ceremony. There is a time and a place. But for tea? Give me my pajamas, a good book, my back porch and that's all the ceremony I need. I do have bone china but it's chipped and fading...it has been graced with the patina of a bygone era and it suits me just fine. As far as sweetener goes, I love lump sugar. There is something special about a nice lump of sweetness resting on your saucer waiting to be submerged in the hot, creamy liquid. Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I also take cream with my tea. It somehow just makes it that much more soothing. Water? When I have the time, I wait for my kettle to warm up. I just adore the whistle. It sounds so much more authentic than the hum of the microwave. It's all about the simple pleasures, right?

(I can't blog about tea and not mention the iced variety, without which, my hammock would be just a bunch of string. So here's to you, iced tea, for making my summer resting place the most relaxing place in the world.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is a weekend? (A rambling ode to stay-at-home mothers)

I dedicate this post to stay-at-home moms/ Downton fans everywhere. How can we ever forget the iconic and highly quotable moment the Dow...