Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Second-Hand Love

Don’t mind if I do! With the onslaught of Marie Kondo followers (thanks Netflix!), I’ve been cleaning up at the thrift stores. I know the whole “tidying up” thing is to reduce the amount of stuff in your house, but we still need clothes, books, kitchenware, etc....I’m just a lot more discerning about what comes into my house, and I have no interest in paying retail for anything that people are willingly donating. Today wasn’t a particularly big haul but I did get a few great items; a large salmon colored fleece throw, in perfect, cozy condition, for $4.99, a hard-adonized KitchenAid saucepan with lid for $3.99 (part of a three piece set that retails for $200), and the find of all finds, a vintage, pea-soup green Crockpot for $2.98. Seriously...$2.98! And I just can’t get over this color. It’s perfect (and probably the reason it was marked down twice). Maybe it’s nostalgia for my mother but I have been really into mustard yellow and pea-soup green since she passed.  Lucky for me, there is no shortage of these colors at second-hand shops! And yes, I have already made a lovely batch of chili and it works like a charm. I just love these pots, they are smaller than my usual slow cooker and a lot less complicated to operate so it’s perfect for weeknight meals. Before you ask, I frequent two shops, the CHKD on the Boulevard and the DAV on General Booth. If you are not a Va Beacher, find the shops located near the wealthy neighborhoods. They are always chocked full of great finds. I’ve found furs, cashmere, bone china, a cigar humidor, Hudson and Seven jeans, silver sugar bowls, vintage linen, and more for seriously unreal prices. Happy hunting my darlings!

2 comments:

  1. I love thrifting!! I just scored a large Thirty-One storage bin with bulldozers on the cover....aka toy box for $4.25 and we got Eva girls beach cruiser for $20

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always see bikes in the cheap at thrift stores, especially for kids! Well done!

      Delete

What is a weekend? (A rambling ode to stay-at-home mothers)

I dedicate this post to stay-at-home moms/ Downton fans everywhere. How can we ever forget the iconic and highly quotable moment the Dow...