Wednesday, February 17, 2010

How to Eat

I am a realist. I know that I am going to eat on the run based on the lifestyle I live. You probably do as well. Shame on both of us. I also know that I am not fully enjoying the food that I am eating when on the run. Sure, I taste it, but do I really fully comprehend the flavors, textures and aromas of what I am thrusting towards my mouth? No. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I don't taste it. In our homogenized, microwaved, give-it-to-me-now world, it is desperately important to take those rare moments and enjoy a good, made from scratch meal. So, every once in a while, usually on my day off, I take the time to shop for, cook and enjoy (by myself and in silence) a meal that truly deserves my attention. Maybe a nice hearty minestrone soup with a crusty sourdough bread, a roasted vegetable lasagna and a glass of Chianti or perhaps a smoky ratatouille over Parmesan polenta. Whatever sparks that creative light in me that particular day. After I'm done cooking, I light a candle, place some flowers on the table, breathe slowly and eat. Really eat.

(If you don't know how to cook, now's the time to learn. Find one or two signature dishes that you can call your own. Buy a cookbook that looks interesting and get to it. If you don't believe in the virtues of cooking, watch Julie and Julia, it will change your world.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is a weekend? (A rambling ode to stay-at-home mothers)

I dedicate this post to stay-at-home moms/ Downton fans everywhere. How can we ever forget the iconic and highly quotable moment the Dow...