Wednesday, February 10, 2010

All Hail the Estate Sale

Now, I know the folks at Peta will not be happy with me (even though I happen to be a vegetarian) but I have a vintage, fur collared, calf length, wool coat hanging in my closet. The wool is a beautiful camel color and the collar is red fox fur...gorgeous and fits like a dream. Wanna know how much I spent on it? $5.00. How did I get such an amazing coat at such an amazing price you might ask? Estate Sale. Now I am sure you all know which neighborhoods in your area are the 'ritzy' ones. Pick up a paper and look for estate sales in those neighborhoods. They are a gold mine of amazingly priced queenly items. I have a brass handled umbrella, tons of vintage silver and linen, velvet throw pillows, you name it. All for a pittance. If you are to truly equip your castle with stately things to make yourself feel absolutely fabulous, hit up one of these darling little gold mines and shop to your hearts content, guilt free. Just do me one favor. Actually use the items you buy. Don't be one of those uptight women who keep everything in a curio case for a 'special occasion'. You are royalty, every day is a special occasion. If your silver tarnishes, polish it. If your vintage linen rips, so what, you barely paid anything for it. Go buy more! Happy Hunting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is a weekend? (A rambling ode to stay-at-home mothers)

I dedicate this post to stay-at-home moms/ Downton fans everywhere. How can we ever forget the iconic and highly quotable moment the Dow...