Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Printed Page

"Books may well be the only true magic"
-Alice Hoffman

My nightstand holds, on average, five to ten books on any given day. Currently there are seven...a book on fashion in 1970's Paris, 2-3 random novels, The Food Lovers Companion, a book on travel in Europe and a rather thick work of fiction that I have been attempting to read for the better part of five years. I am the odd type of person who reads multiple books at a time. I pick my books according to my mood. If I'm feeling dark and depressed, I pick up The Crimson Petal and the White and read about the dark, dank streets of Victorian London. Feeling sarcastic? Anything by my dear friend Simon Doonan or perhaps the snide Mr. Bourdain does the trick. Want something to completely numb the brain? Bergdorf Blondes is the perfect chick lit fluff. The thing that I love so dearly about the written word is it's ability to calm, de-stress and completely remove you from the one place you don't care to be to anywhere you prefer.

Books were and continue to be my oldest and dearest friends.

In my youth, I would read anything I could get my hands on. I would find a good climbing tree, perch myself in it and read for hours. I was obsessed. I believe that it was that obsession with books that led me to writing...and ultimately to you.

Please keep in mind, I am not trying to push my obsession with literature on you, only to explain to you my passion and why it exists. I have many passions...books, food, adventure, sex, travel...just to name a few. Passion is what life is all about anyway. Finding what excites you, what ignites that fire in your belly and then fueling it to keep it going. Passion is the soul of your existence.

Without passion...we perish.

Find yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is a weekend? (A rambling ode to stay-at-home mothers)

I dedicate this post to stay-at-home moms/ Downton fans everywhere. How can we ever forget the iconic and highly quotable moment the Dow...