Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Day After

It's the first of March and it's 77 degrees in my house. No, I do not have the heat on, but for those of you who know me well, I can understand why you'd think that.
I opened every window in the house today. When I woke up, the staleness of the room made me feel as if I couldn't breathe...and I needed to breathe, badly. With a day as beautiful as this, I felt that I would be remiss if I didn't at least get out for a little bit of exercise. I also badly needed to move and stretch and feel something solid beneath my feet. Unfortunately, it turns out that it's true what they say about past performance not being an indicator of future performance. I went out for a little 3 mile run/walk, during which I had hoped to be doing more running than walking. Let's just say that nothing ever goes as you'd expect. That's ok though. Life goes on and you just keep moving.
Which brings me to my next point, I quit my job. Yesterday was my last day at Kincaid's. After eight years, I have finally decided to pass the torch and move on. Don't ask me why. I'm not sure I could answer in a way you'd understand. There are a million common sense reasons I could give you but none of them would be true. When it comes right down to it, I got the urge. At least, that's what I call it. For me it's that little tickle in the back of my brain that tells me that it's time to go. It happened in my first marriage, after my first enlistment, the day I met Steven, and now. When something pushes or pulls you this strongly, it's not wise to ignore it.
Yesterday, someone asked me why I happen to make such drastic changes in my life (first marriage to U.S. Navy to GM of a restaurant to the corporate offices of a tax company). Clearly this person does not know me well. I've always been the one to make the crazy decisions...to uproot myself in perfectly fine situations in the hopes of finding something new and exciting. Ok, so maybe the situations weren't perfectly fine but I could have stayed and been content in almost every one of them.
Everyone said I was crazy for joining the Navy. Then, everyone said I was crazy to get out and go to culinary school. Now I am crazy for leaving a perfectly good position for an industry in which I know absolutely nothing. I won't say that I am still finding myself because I don't believe that to be true but I do feel myself becoming stronger as a person and loving the adventure with each daring jump. I highly doubt I'll ever be disappointed.

Happy change my darlings.


1 comment:

  1. Have you ever connected with the lawn via a non propelled lawnmower? It can be truly rewarding experience. I'm sure an antique push mower could be acquired.

    ReplyDelete

What is a weekend? (A rambling ode to stay-at-home mothers)

I dedicate this post to stay-at-home moms/ Downton fans everywhere. How can we ever forget the iconic and highly quotable moment the Dow...