Monday, September 5, 2011

Une Bouteille Du Vin Rouge

In my seven and a half years of 30 minute commutes, I once tried to take advantage of the time by learning French. This attempt at cultural immersion lasted for about three weeks, during which, I learned one useable phrase: "une bouteille du vin rouge, si vous plait".

"A bottle of red wine, please" is about all you ever need to learn in your adult life, especially if you have children, a husband, a job, or even just a cat. At the end of a long day, slowly and methodically running the knife edge along the bottom of the lip, gently lifting off the cap, inserting the worm and twisting it until it is fully submerged into the cork, gently dislodging it from the neck, and slowly watching my glass fill can be very, very relaxing.

It must be the task immersion that takes my mind off of the hours behind me; the slow, rehearsed actions that result in a well-aged glass that makes it all fade to insignificance. To be honest, there are day in which I am so desperate for relief that I slash the knife down the side of the foil, rip it off, and remove the cork with the fastest means available in an effort to remove any obstacle between myself and the contents of the bottle, ceremony be damned.

Funny joke; how do you spell therapist? w-i-n-e

One glass leads to two and before I know it, I don't even care that Steve is entertaining himself with Yoda-based youtube spoof videos. I even begin to enjoy the giggle that follows the five minutes of Star Wars impersonations. Ok, to be honest, I hate Star Wars and he knows it. Good thing he's so damn cute.

Happy drinking my darlings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is a weekend? (A rambling ode to stay-at-home mothers)

I dedicate this post to stay-at-home moms/ Downton fans everywhere. How can we ever forget the iconic and highly quotable moment the Dow...