Friday, August 12, 2011

Minimalism in a Maximalism World

Every year or so, I'll come across an article, study or book that mentions the fact that we really only wear about 10% of our wardrobe. While doing laundry a few days ago, I realized that I keep wearing, washing and re-hanging the same 10-20 items. After taking quick count of the items I own, I realized that I only wear about 5% of my actual wardrobe. Everything else is too small, too large, or something that I plan on wearing someday, eventually...maybe.

Inspired by my latest favorite book, Parisian Chic by Ines de la Fressange, I set out to compose my wardrobe of only those things that were essential to me. If I was not head over heels for it, out it went into the massive pile of donations. After about six bags worth, I had to quit. It was scary to me how much of what I owned was disposable. I had only managed to rescue about one quarter of my closet.

Here lies the issue, I live in America. Americans, for the most part live obnoxiously, consumer-driven lives. It's very easy to get swept up in the latest this or the newest that. A girl at heart, I frequently get distracted by pretty, shiny things and hastily decide that I absolutely must have them.  Unfortunately, I have spent a great deal of money on things that I don't really love, didn't really need and don't actually wear.

Seeing one little corner of my closet become streamlined and clutter-free gave me an eerie sense of calm and happiness. I had no idea the effect that a cluttered closet could have on me compared to a minimalist one. Now, when I look at that space, I get excited about my choices, not overwhelmed. I don't feel depressed looking at skinny jeans that I can't fit into because I gave them away. I also now don't have a backup plan for gaining a few pounds because my fat clothes are gone too. What's left are high-quality, timeless items that will last for years.

Happy minimalism my darlings.

"The Spartans weren't big on amenities."
-Eddie Morra


3 comments:

  1. As always, an inspiring read! Part of me thought, wow, I want to go through those six bags of clothes you got rid of but that would totally go against everything you just wrote about....LOL! I too, have been in the process of getting rid of clothes I don't wear, just haven't had the heart to do it in one big swoop......I think reading this may give me that extra nudge! Some empty closet space would be nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you! :) Thanks to your minimalism, I have a few now items to my "poor-excuse-of-a-wardrobe" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very influential post that not only expresses the importance of minimizing excessive clothing and objects but acts as an impressive metaphor to let go of the mental baggage that often slows us down.

    ReplyDelete

What is a weekend? (A rambling ode to stay-at-home mothers)

I dedicate this post to stay-at-home moms/ Downton fans everywhere. How can we ever forget the iconic and highly quotable moment the Dow...